1 in 3 adults in the US doesn’t get enough sleep. According to multiple studies, over one-third of the population doesn’t get proper sleep on a regular basis. There are many reasons for this, but the bottom line is that improper sleep is detrimental to both physical and mental health. For years, people have sought ways to improve the way they fall or stay asleep. From herbs to meditation to blackout curtains, sleepless individuals are often willing to try anything. If you’re having trouble sleeping, an air purifier may be the answer you’re looking for. Keep reading to learn about the sleep problems that an air purifier can help with.
Sleeping problems plague many people...
Proper sleep is considered 7 hours or more per day. Adults 18-60 should aim for a consistent 7 hours of sleep 24 hour period. Additionally, that sleep should be relatively free from interruptions. Being in bed for 9 hours but waking up every 2 does not constitute restful or regenerative sleep. People don’t get enough sleep for many reasons. According to this piece by Everyday Health, people tend to lose sleep because of the following:
- Less time for sleep - According to the Sleep Disorders Center in Chicago, the availability of electricity and technology have lessened the hours that people sleep. Though our bedtimes have generally gotten later, our wake times have not - providing fewer hours of actual rest.
- Stress - American work lives have changed over the past few decades. On average, we try to cram more into our days than people used to. There is a big increase in people carrying heavier workloads, along with trying to find time for exercise, hobbies, and relationships. Not only is there simply less time for sleep, when people do lay down to sleep they can’t “turn their brains off”. Endless to-do lists are ever-present for adults these days.
- Physical discomfort - Room too hot? Bed too hard? Pillows need refreshing? Often, people aren’t sleeping due to the conditions of their sleeping environment. Or, people with colds, stuffy noses, or scratchy throats cannot get comfortable falling asleep. An air purifier can offer comfort when it comes to your sleeping environment. It can provide light white noise, make the air clearer, and remove dust mites that can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.
- Sleep disorders - Some people suffer from disorders such as sleep apnea or insomnia. These are conditions that require medical oversight to improve, but here again, an air purifier can help to clean and clear the air you breathe. Removing allergens such as dust mites, pet hair, pet dander, mold spores and lots of bacteria that cause congestion will improve your air quality, which can only contribute to health.
- Lifestyle factors (such as small children) - If you live in a crowded building, have babies that wake in the night, or sleep next to someone who works the third shift, your sleep is bound to be interrupted.
What kind of contaminants disturb sleep?
There are many things you can do to improve your situation if you’re suffering from stress or other non-physical factors that prevent you from sleeping. On the other hand, there are some actions you can take in your own home to make the environment more conducive to sleep. The first is to improve your air quality. There are several contaminants that can impact your breathing, which will ultimately reduce your sleep quality. Start by removing them.
Pollution - Gases, particles, and chemicals from substances in the air can be troublesome and keep you awake. In fact, increasing air pollution is a problem that affects every aspect of our lives, including sleep. One study even showed a link between sleep apnea and chemicals present from air pollution such as fine particulate pollution, known as PM2.5, and nitrogen dioxide (NO2), a traffic-related pollutant. Air pollution is detrimental to sleep, given that air pollution causes upper airway irritation, swelling, and congestion.
Allergens - Pet dander and mold spores floating in the air can get into your body when you inhale. They can get into your eyes, nose, and throat, and many people don’t even realize the irritation they feel is caused by these substances. Furthermore, many people are allergic to certain pets or mold and they don’t even know it. In these cases, they are unlikely to sleep well and can be getting sicker every night that passes.
Unpleasant odors - Many people don’t even consider smell when they think of sleep quality, but it can really have a serious effect. That’s why some individuals use essential oils like lavender to aid in better sleep (a practice known as aromatherapy). On the other hand, bad smells are just as likely to interfere with quality sleep.
How can an air purifier help?
Air purifiers clear the air of the irritants we mentioned above. Such machines can purify the air by trapping and removing 99.9% of particles down to 0.1 microns. High-quality air purifiers will remove particles such as dust, dust mites, pet hair, pet dander, mold spores, and lots of bacteria that cause congestion and keep you awake at night. This ensures your airways are clear and not irritated. That’s especially important for people with asthma or other breathing conditions that are worsened by poor air quality. Not only that, reducing irritants can prevent or reduce snoring. Imagine how agitated the tissues in the nose and throat can become when constantly bothered by motes and mites. Such irritation can increase congestion and sinus troubles, which lead to more snoring.
Furthermore, Medify air purifiers are quiet but not silent. The top-quality fan and motor make a small amount of comforting white noise, which many people find improves their ability to fall asleep. White noise can drown out distracting background noises such as traffic or footprints around the house.
A combination of clearer air and white noise provided by a Medify air purifier is sure to help you fall asleep faster, remain asleep longer, and protect your health while you sleep.
Other things an air purifier can help with...
Air purifiers will certainly help with sleep, but they can also improve general health and well-being in so many ways. For further insights, read up on how air purifiers can help with pet dander and with common issues in older homes. Other benefits of air purifiers include:
Stopping germs from spreading - Medify’s innovative H13 True Hepa Filters remove 99.9% of particles down to 0.1 microns. That means airborne germs are less likely to spread, as well as bacteria and other particles that cause sickness.
Combatting smoke or other odors - Between cooking, pets, smoking, home improvement projects, and other everyday things that are part of living in a house every day, many smells can begin to contaminate the air. Some of these smells are even associated with substances that are more harmful: for example, smoke or cleaning product fumes are also dangerous to breathe in, aside from just contributing to bad smells.
Keeping lungs healthy - Air purifiers are especially important for people with asthma or other breathing problems. Particles, dust, and other mites in the air can line the nose, throat, and lungs and worsen allergies, cold symptoms, and other normally healthy lungs that have been compromised by previous illnesses like pneumonia. If you have ever experienced such issues, or plan to have guests who have, then it’s important to have air purifiers in rooms where you commonly spend time.
Making your home smell better - Many people try to make their home smell fresh by using candles, oils, or sprays. But the truth is these items just cover up unpleasant smells, and don’t really do anything to remove the actual cause of bad smells. You can actually clean and freshen the air with an air purifier though. Air purifiers get to the heart of the problem - actually trapping and discarding the particles that cause bad smells. That being said, only a HEPA air purifier with a carbon filter can really get rid of smells. Medify air purifiers go a step further with H13 True HEPA Filters and a powerful Clean Air Delivery Rates (CADR) up to 950.
Reducing cleaning - There will always be dust in the air. No matter how often you clean, dust will accumulate. However, an air purifier can help trap dust before it can settle on surfaces, letting less gather and creating less need for dusting surfaces.
Now that you know all the benefits of a quality air purifier - including helping you to get proper sleep - you probably want to get one for each bedroom! The good thing is, you can! Medify offers lightweight, compact, & easy to move purifiers with a lifetime warranty. To learn more about our proprietary air purifiers and what they can do for your home, reach out to one of our experts for a consultation on which unit is right for you.